Thursday, October 2, 2008

October 6-10-What is the Scoop in Spakausky's Class?

Fun in Physical Education!
Let's stretch, before we run!






















Dear Parents,

Lunch Program-
Starting 10/23 will be the Nutri Kids (ticketless lunch system)


Again-I have updated my e-mail list, so if you aren't getting reminders of when I've updated my blog, please contact me and let me add you to my e-mail address. If you gave me your e-mail address and still aren't getting weekly reminders, e-mail your address to me again. I can e-mail you any updated materials, etc. Thanks!

Website of the week:
Current Events
Time for Kids:
http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK


Book Orders:
The October orders are due on October 15! Place them on-line, if possible. THANKS!
To order on line, go to the Web address below and enter our class’s personalized user name and password.

www.scholastic.com/parentordering


Class User Name: spakausky
Password: Books

Goody Basket-
The Goody Basket is used as a reward system. If the student receives 5 tickets, they get to pick out of the special basket at the end of the day!
Donations for toys, pencils, and other items of interest are always appreciated.
Thanks to:
For donating to the basket this week!


Student of the Week
Jennifer
Each week there will be a student picked to be student of the week. This student will bring in photos, magazine picture, or drawings/descriptions about themselves. The categories that they will cover are:


Me
My Family
Special Friends
My Favorite Foods
Where I Live
Thing I Like to Do
When I Grow Up I’d like to
My Favorite Toys
How the special week works for your child:
Monday-put pictures up
Tuesday-share your board
Wed.-Read a favorite book (practice at home first)
Thursday-Show and Tell
Friday-Take board down

Spelling
We took the Lesson 5 test Thursday.
We also took the pretest for Lesson 6.
I will hand back the lesson 5 pretest on Friday. I will also pass back the assignment that will be due on Friday, 10/10.

English
Chapter 1- Test scheduled for Tuesday, 10/7.
*complete and incomplete sentences
*Statements and Questions
*Commands and Exclamations
*Subjects of the Sentence
*predicate of a sentence

Writing
We have been writing away in third grade!
We have been doing “quick writes” in class. They write on a story starter I give them for 10 minutes. This gets their ideas flowing!
We have made scap books to work on our writing and journaling skills and to practice using “Grand Openings.” “Grand Openings” are interesting and fun beginnings to our papers.
Next week we will discuss and do activities on using transitions in our writing. For example, next, then, first, in addition to, the next day, the day after tomorrow, two days after Halloween, etc.

Reading
The third grade teachers have covered the strategy of visualizing and preview and predict! Next, we will cover facts and opinions. The story we will be reading is called, Night of the Pufflings.

Independent Reading Program
Thanks to the following people who participated for the month of September:
-Allie -Eric -Chantalle -Max -Elena -Ethan
-Stephen -Alec -Emily -Adam -Jonathan -Ross
-Kailee -Natalie -Marc -Jennifer -Lucas

Science
Chapter 1-The Human Body-
We wrapping up our human body unit. We will most likely test on Friday, 10/3. A study guide will come home next week.
Chapter 2 is next! We will study about ways to stay healthy!

Social Studies-Downers Grove
We have studied about:
-Pierce Downer
-Native American settlers
-Israel Blodgett
-Underground Railroad
Next week we will discuss:
-Prince Pond
-John Manning
-Casper Dicke
-The Tivoli Movie Theater


We will taking a D.G. field trip on
The names of the following parents were chosen to go on the DG Field Trip:
*Eve's mom
*Kailee's mom
*Lucas's dad
*Marc's mom
*Allison's mom
Thanks for volunteering!

Math
Chapter 3 is next!
Addition

Have a SUPER weekend!
Mrs. T. Spakausky