Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Spakausky's Scoop August 25-29, 2008





Dear Parents,




Welcome to 3rd Grade!






My name is Mrs. Tracy Spakausky and I will be your child’s 3rd grade teacher! This is my 16th year teaching in District 66. I am also an alumnus of District 66. I graduated from Lakeview in 1984 and now I am pleased to be working with some of my former teachers. I graduated from Northern Illinois University with a Bachelor of Science in Education and I completed my Master’s Degree from National-Louis University in 1996. I am excited about starting a new year with your child. I know it will be a productive and special school year!




This is the first of many blogs. Each Friday you should check my blog for new and informative news about what is going on in our classroom. In this letter you will find information about different events, dates, tests, quizzes, etc.



IMPORTANT DATES:

Thursday, Sept. 4th at 7:00 in the multipurpose

SNACK-
We are a “nut free” classroom this year! Please do not send any snacks to school that have peanuts or nut products. You may send items for lunch, but not for snack or for parties. Thanks!




Student of the Week
Mrs. Spakausky




Each week there will be a student picked to be student of the week. This student will bring in photos, magazine pictures, or drawings/descriptions about themselves. The categories that they will cover are:
Me
My Family and Special Friends
My Favorite Foods
Where I Live
Thing I Like to Do (hobbies)
When I Grow Up I’d Like to
My Favorite Book



My Favorite Sport




The schedule is as follows:
Monday-put up pictures
Tuesday-share their board
Wednesday-show and tell


Thursday-read their favorite book
Friday-take down pictures









Spelling
Each Monday your child will take a spelling pretest. If they get
0-1 wrong on their pretest they will go to LIST 2 and complete the list of activities they are given for LIST 2 that week. If they get 2-? wrong, they will study LIST 1 and do the assigned work for that list.









The schedule is as follows:
Monday-Pretest
Tuesday-Go over the lesson in the book (book due on Friday)
Friday-Lesson in the book is due and take the Test




English/Writing
We will constantly be working on writing and English skills throughout the year. We will use the English textbook and our writing to learn and review these skills. We will also do some daily written language on a daily basis (D.O.L.) and this will be graded at least once a week.




Reading
In reading, we will be learning the different reading strategies while reading from our reading books and studying different novels.




My reading class-please come with a 3 ring binder 1/2-1 inch-any color or style is fine. Thanks!!! Due by Sept. 15th




Science
The first subject that we will study, in science, is Health and the Human Body.




Social Studies
In social studies, the first unit will be on maps.




Math
We will start by covering the basic facts: addition and subtraction.




Most of the subjects will start next week. This week we will just get to know each other and do some fun activities!



MUSIC



Music SuppliesNeeded for 3rd Grade:
2 erasable pens
one folder
some loose leaf paper
one pack of note cards





Lastly, I would like to invite you to “3rd Grade Curriculum Night on Monday, September 8th at 7:00P.M. We will go over some information for the year and answer any questions that you may have, so far.






Book Orders- see below




Have a Wonderful week!
Mrs. T. Spakausky



Scholastic Book Orders




I have exciting news... You can now place your Scholastic Book Club orders online!






Book orders will go home tomorrow, Wednesday, August 27th!




Browse all the great monthly Club selections at low prices and order online - all while helping our classroom earn FREE books, software, and resources.
Here's how it works:
Use the information below to access the Scholastic Book Clubs Web site.
Browse the titles with your child, and place your order with your credit card.
Your order will come to me, and your credit card payment will go directly to Scholastic's secure server. There's no need to send money to school.
After I submit the entire class's order to Scholastic, your order will be delivered to our classroom for your child to take home.




www.scholastic.com/parentordering
Class User Name: spakausky
Password: Books




Remember, placing your online credit card order is completely safe and secure.
Ordering online is the most convenient way to use Scholastic Book Clubs. You can order anytime, right up until the online order due date. And this month, our class can earn additional FREE books, just for trying this online ordering service.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.




Sincerely,
Mrs. Spakausky